Monday, March 16, 2009

Day 1

OK, as a preface. I have been thinking of running a Marathon since last August. Though, I have been pregnant that entire time. Now I am not pregnant and I had my six week check up with the ok to exercise. So now it begins. I decided to do a 5K in June. Then a 10K in September and the marathon next April. I went to the library on saturday and checked out four books. Three on marathoning and 1 on physical therapy. I have also found some pretty great websites for begining runners. My friend Sara Mecham pointed the way to a great website for buying shoes-she is a runner as well. So to speak I have planted the seed now for watering it!
Today I got up to begin day one of marathoning. I checked one more time to make sure I was going to reach goal one, which I had thought was a 15 minute run. I checked and it was 25 minute. OK no prob thats fine. So off I go. I looked down at the watch, when I got to the end of the road, and sure enough I was right on time 12 minutes into the run. I turned around. Half way back I checked the watch to make sure I was making good time, and this was the point I realized I was only 12 minutes into my run. I am not sure what happened oh well. So I ran up the street past my house, then I got to the other end of the street and doubled back. oh well, so the neighbors all saw me run by four times instead of two. It sure felt great to be running again.
The benefits of todays run were, when I got home I felt sore, but terific. I drank 64oz of water. When I drove Tom to work I felt like I was on caffine. I guess that is what they call being high on life.
Pain-I have a sore inner ankle and outer thigh on the right side. The last quarter mile I was favoring it, and I started to get a side ache on that side as well.
Preperation for tommorow- I measured with the car how far 2 miles is. That is the distance I run tomorrow. I ate whole wheat breakfast and snack, and replenished the water lost.
I also checked the distance I ran today-1.5 mile. in 25 minutes-that is almost half as fast as it should be. Good thing I am giving myself some time to train. I will be competitive at a 18 minute 3 mile.

1 comment:

  1. 18 minute 3 mile? Seriously I think a more realistic goal would be 8-10 minute miles...and I am still at a 13 minute mile almost a year later. But, I am still running.

    ReplyDelete