Sunday, March 28, 2010

"I am a Marathoner"

Before I ran my 10 miler, I read a chapter in my Marathon book. In there, it suggests that you tell people you are a marathoner. Not that you are training for a marathon, but that you are a marathoner. I am a marathoner. When the weather is cold and I want to crawl back in bed with my sweet comfortable husband, I tell myself- "I am a marathoner". When Mile 11 is coming and you have more to go and your legs are burning- you say "I am a marathoner". This week it was bitter cold outside. I mean like with the wind chill it was 15 degrees. I took off for my run at 5:30 am. I planned to go 6 miles. I started running and felt the distinct feeling that I should turn around and put some more clothes on. I didn't at about 1/2 a mile I ran past another runner she had a ski coat- snow pants, hat, gloves, face warmer. I had on a long sleeve t-shirt and long running pants, and gloves. I wished at that point that I was dressed like her. I got up next to the temple- about 1 1/2 miles, and I could not go a step farther. But, "I am a marathoner" I have to go farther. And then it hit me. I am a marathoner, so if I don't make this run I will be fine. I am mentally a marathoner. If my run was tomorrow- even though I am only up to 14 miles-I think I could do it. I would be surprised if I couldn't! In training I only go up another 4 miles. So before the race I only run 18 miles. Wow! that is so close! I am a marathoner. And a sick one at that. Fever and all tomorrow I will go run my 5 miles with a smile on my face and 2 months till Fargo, because I am a marathoner!

No comments:

Post a Comment