Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Seek

 I have been praying for more patience with my children. I want to be the kind of mom that automatically redirects with love and not scorn or judgement. I've seen it modeled and I wanted that for myself. Yesterday I read this quote..."In your unrest behold Gods calmness; In your impatience, God's patience; in your limitations, Gods perfection. Looking upward toward God, your spirit will begin to grow. As you grow in the spiritual life, you will be enabled to do many things that seemed too hard for you before." 
So, I was praying for this, and had it in mind. As Benjamin spilled, had accidents, demanded in the tone of a 2 year old, and generally went about his day in all of his 2 year old glory, I had gentle reminders of Gods perspective. How God, our Heavenly Father treats me, teaches me, and loves me, Even though I am immature, imperfect, and unrelenting. It was a blessing. 
Following that, Eve came home, discouraged, because she almost made it the whole day without sitting in the time out chair, only to have to sit in time out at the very end of the day. She was looking to me to direct her on how she should process the situation. Would I validate her concerns that she was hopeless? Thankfully, I was given a gift. What used to be a 5 minute lecture on respect for rules and her teacher followed by a time out and lots of tears, turned into a beautiful moment. These words were given to me, "Eve you are wonderful, and I know that really soon you are going to figure out how to keep all of the rules in school, just think how good that is going to feel. Theres a lot to learn with this kindergarten gig, and your doing great!" That was followed by a big hug from her and a smile, with a vow that she was going to do better. All evening she could be heard saying or singing, "I am wonderful". Its easy to be as hard on our kids as we are on ourselves, demanding perfection. I hope we can all try to be as careful with our children and ourselves as our Father in Heaven is with us, offering mercy.
This is my Mom, Eve, and I one early morning

No comments:

Post a Comment